A 1930-BUILT OLD MUNICIPAL BUILDING (Escalante City) now turned into a City Museum. It houses two galleries, archaeological and Ethnographic, containing collections from the 21 Barangays. It also has a mini library with around 900 book holdings.
ANCESTRAL HOUSE OF DR. SORIANO (Bacolod City) was constructed in 1901, the house was made of hardwood with fine carvings; served as a hospital during the Japanese occupation.
ANCESTRAL HOUSE OF GEN. ANICETO LACSON (Talisay City) was constructed in the early 1880 using Filipino-Chinese design with colonial Spanish influence. Gen. Lacson became the first and only president of the Cantonal Republic of Negros in 1889 and this house became the Malacañan Palace of the short-lived republic.
ANG PAGHIMUD-OS OR “STRUGGLE” (Bacolod City) is a magnificent work of art located at the east entrance of the Provincial Capitol Lagoon and Park by the noted sculptor Eduardo Castrillo.
ARANETA AND LACSON MONUMENTS (Bago City and Talisay) 22 kms. and 6 kms. from Bacolod City, respectively; in memory of two great leaders of the Negros revolution.
BACOLOD PLAZA BANDSTAND (Bacolod City) was constructed in 1927 to complement the cultural activities of the early Bacoleños on weekends. Name of world-famous composers like Mozart, Bach, Beethoven, and Wagner are emblazoned at the top, a proof of the early Negrenses’ familiarity with European culture.
BALAY NI TANA DICANG (Talisay City) echoes the lifestyle of a century ago and preserves the charm & gentility that is a Talisaynon heritage. It was built in 1880 and was occupied by the Lizares family for 117 years.
BALAY NI TAN JUAN (Bago City) was built towards the end of the 19th century. It was the residence of Gen Juan A. Araneta. As a structure it witnessed the struggles of the people in the dark years of the Hispanic colonization. It was declared as a National Historical Landmark in 1978.
BARANGAY STA. ROSA (Murcia) was the site where Japanese soldiers’ surrendered to the American forces at the end of the World War II. A monument stands here marking this historic surrender.
BERNARDINO-YSABEL JALANDONI MUSEUM (The Pink Museum) was built in 1908. It is a perfect example of the affluent Filipino house of the late 19th to early 20th century. All items are authentic period pieces.
CHAPEL OF CARTWHEELS (Manapla) is made of farm implements such as cartwheels, plows, mortar and pestle, margaha sand, and broken pieces of glass in different colors. It was patterned like a “salakot” and it can be found inside the farm owned by the Gaston Family.
CHINESE TEMPLE (Bacolod City) is a symbol of Chinese influence in the culture of the province.
CHURCH OF ST. JOSEPH THE WORKER (Victorias City) is located at the heart of Victoria’s Milling Company compound; features the world renowned mural of a craggy-faced Christ done in psychedelic colors. It is the only church in Negros that depicts Filipino liturgical arts.
CHURCH OF ST. MAGDALENE (Hinigaran) is one of the oldest churches in the country, built in 1858. The church was said to have a bell made of silver and gold weighing 480 kg.
CHURCH OF SAN NICOLAS DE TOLENTINO (Talisay City) is 7 kms. from Bacolod City constructed in the early part of 1900’s where the remains of Fr. Fernando Cuenca and Gen Aniceto Lacson are being kept.
CITY IMMACULATE CONCEPCION (Escalante City) was originally intended as a Lady of Lourdes Shrine in 1967, a half-hectare area in a peaceful barangay near the Poblacion known as “Holy City.” It has native cottages to provide accommodation for retreats and similar religious activities. Nearby is a holy Rosary Garden featuring the 15 mysteries and a chapel.
DIZON-RAMOS MUSEUM (Bacolod City) was built in 1950 and reflects the architecture of post war Bacolod, a blend of neo-classical and modern. Artworks by famous artists such as Ocampo, Lorenzo, and Malang among others are on display.
EUSEBIO LOPEZ ELEMENTARY SCHOOL BUILDING (Sagay City) served as the incarceration area of captured American pilots and soldiers during the World War II.
FORT SAN JUAN (Bacolod City) was constructed in 1888 thru the initiative of Gobernadorcillo Don Ramon Pastor and served as the jail for prisoners during the Spanish era. After the Negros Revolution in 1898, 36 Spanish friars were ordered incarcerated. To date, the fort serves as the Provincial Jail along gatuslao Street.
FOUNTAIN OF JUSTICE (Bacolod City) is the site where the Capitulation of Bacolod was signed between the Spanish authorities and the revolutionary forces.
GASTON FARM HOUSE (Silay City) 15 kms. from Bacolod City; typical example of a “sugar baron’s mansion”; converted into a museum and known today as the “Balay Negrense”.
GREEN BEACH LIBERATION STONE MARKER (Pulupandan) was the site of the historic landing of American Liberation Forces in this town without any opposition nor bloodshed in the dawn of March 29, 1945. Together with Filipino guerillas, they drove the enemy forces away from the Negros Island. It showcases the significance of the area’s history and people’s valor.
GUINTABUAN MARKER (E.B. Magalona) was built in memory of the heroes of “Guintabuan,” an event about the struggle of the local revolutionaries who opposed American rule after the fall of Spain. It was in Sitio Guintabuan where expeditionary fighters from Iloilo met with the local forces to engage the American soldiers.
HDA FE. ANCESTRAL HOUSE OF DON EUSEBIO URIARTE Y HERMANOS (La Carlota City) is 42 kms. from Bacolod City where the Circulo de Agriculture, a planters organization formed to undertake an anti-locust campaign.
HOFILEÑA ANCESTRAL HOUSE (Silay City) 15 kms. from Bacolod City is the first house in the city to be opened to visitors. It is a repository of the private art collection of Ramon H. Hofileña. The exhibit includes the work of top artists in the country, authentic period furniture, books, and paintings done by Luna, Rizal and Hidalgo.
INSTITUTO RIZAL (Bacolod City) First public school established in Bacolod in 1902.
MURAL OF BIRHEN SG BARANGAY (Sta. Clara Chapel, Bacolod City) features a large mural mosaic of Barangay Sang Birhen, a local version of the Virgin Mary made of 95,000 pieces of polished shells. Stations of the cross, the images of the saints and the altar pieces are a collage of 30, 000 Philippine shells.
NEGROS MUSEUM (Bacolod City) is a unique historical and humanities museum which does not collect antiquities but stories about Negros as the “Sugar Bowl of the Philippines” and displays of miniature dolls from different countries. It is open Tuesday to Sunday.
OLD BAGO BRIDGE (Bago City) is a steel span of 650 feet long and 40 feet above the water, traversing the wide river of Bago between the Poblacion and the Bago Ma-ao crossing. The bridge played a crucial role during the battle for the liberation of Negros Island against the Japanese imperial forces. Adjacent to the bridge is the World War II Veterans Memorial Marker installed during the 50th anniversary of the Liberation of Negros.
OLD FORT AT HIMAMAYLAN (Himamaylan) 83 kms. from Bacolod City; served as a garrison when the town became the capital of Negros in 1795.
OUR LADY OF PEACE AND GOOD VOYAGE (La Carlota City) is a century-old church located at the heart of the city. It has the distinction of being one of the very few churches of Romanesque architectural design in the region.
OUR LADY OF GUADALUPE (Valladolid) was founded in 1851 by the Recollect Missionaries and reputed to be the biggest in the province.
PATAG VALLEY (Silay City) is a small village at the foot of historic Mt. Silay. It was the last stronghold of the Japanese forces towards the end of WWII.
PROVINCIAL CAPITOL BUILDING (Bacolod City) is an imposing structure of Romanesque neo-classical architectural design, served as headquarters of the Japanese Imperial Army during World War II. It is presently the official seat of the Provincial Government of Negros Occidental.
REVOLUTIONARY MARKERS (Bago and Silay City and E. B. Magalona) 22 kms. and 15 kms. from Bacolod City, respectively; commemorate the spots where local revolutionaries fought against Spanish authorities during the Negros revolution of 1898 and the American forces later.
RODRIGUEZ ANCESTRAL HOUSE (La Carlota City) was built in early 1900’s and was occupied by the Japanese Imperial Army in 1941. Standing in the midst of a sprawling plantation, the place can be seen from the highway secured with wrought-iron gates and shaded with big trees.
SAN ANTONIO ABAD CHURCH (Bacolod City) is a crown-shaped church featuring the Stations of the Cross done by Bacolod’s top artists. It also features an altar sculpture. “The Risen Christ” by national artist, Solomon Saprid.
SAN DIEGO PRO-CATHEDRAL (Silay City) is one of the most beautiful modern-day churches in the country and the only Pro-Cathedral outside Manila. It was designed by the Italian architect Lucio Bernasconi and has a dome that resembles St. Peter’s Basilica in Rome.
SAN NICOLAS DE TOLENTINO OF TALISAY (Talisay City) is 7 kilometers from Bacolod City. It was constructed in the early 1900’s and is where the remains of Fr. Fernando Cuenca and Gen. Aniceto Lacson are kept.
SAN SEBASTIAN CATHEDRAL (Bacolod City) It was originally a small chapel which became a cathedral in 1933. This structure is made of coral stones from Guimaras.
SPANISH KOTA (FORTRESS) (Himamaylan City) is one of the two Spanish forts in the province, a reminder of Himamaylan as the former seat of governance during the Spanish Rule (1795-1849) in Negros Island.
STA. ANA GROTTO (San Carlos City) was built by Atty. Silverio Eusebio in the late 1960’s, it features the life-sized religious statues depicting th 14 Stations of the Cross and the miraculous statue of Our Lady of Lourdes.
ST. FRANCIS OF ASSISI CHURCH RUINS (ESCALANTE CITY) is classified as historical structure by the NHI. It was built as part of the mission of the Augustinian Recollects in the late 19th century.
ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST CATHOLIC CHURCH (Bago City) is one of the century’s old edifices found in Negros Occidental using a Mexican architecture. Built in 1891 at the time of Father Juan Pineda, it is located in front of Bago City Public Plaza.
ST. MICHAEL ARCHANGEL CHURCH (Pontevedra) is a typical old gothic and baroque Spanish mission church with a sense of muted elegance. It features the town’s protector, St. Michael the archangel.
THE HOUSE OF DON MARIANO RAMOS (Bacolod City) Ancestral home of the late Don Mariano Ramos, first appointed Presidente Municipal of Bacolod.
THE RUINS OF DON MARIANO LACSON ANCESTRAL HOUSE (Talisay City) was built in the early 1900’s using Neo-Roman architectural design. Oversized steel bars and solid concrete mixture of cement, sand, and gravel were used during its constructions.
VITO CHURCH (Sagay City) was established during the religious administration of Recollect Friars in the mid-1850’s. Devotees flock to the shrine of San Vicente de Ferrer in Brgy. Vito every Friday as part of their religious promise.
WORLD WAR II MEMORIAL WALL (CADIZ CITY) is a monument that figured prominently in the liberation of Negros from the Japanese Imperial Forces. It serves as a tribute to the WWII veterans.
YULO ANCESTRAL HOUSE (Bacolod City) is by the sea; built in the early part of 1900’s; residence of Don Alfredo Yulo, Mayor of Bacolod at the coming of the World War II.